Preparing For Your Visit
We can't wait for you to get started! If you want to make the most of your climbing session, please take these few steps prior to visiting the gym.
All climbers and observers must sign Earth Treks’ Release of Liability and Assumption of Risks Form. This document includes an important facility and bouldering safety orientation. Climbers under 18 years of age must have the waiver form and facility/bouldering orientation signed by their parent or court appointed guardian. Climbers under the age of 13 must be accompanied and supervised by an adult (18 years or older) at all times while in the climbing areas. Climbing helmets are available free of charge to all clients desiring one.
Watch Bouldering Orientation Video
The Bouldering Orientation Video is available for viewing at our gyms, but to speed up your check-in we strongly recommend that you watch the video in advance.
Get familiar with gym policies
- All climbers and observers must check in at the front desk before proceeding into Earth Treks.
- Climbing is inherently dangerous. Participants must assume the risks of climbing. All climbers, facility participants, individuals operating a safety system, and anyone walking on a padded surface at Earth Treks must sign (or their parent/guardian must sign) Earth Treks' Waiver And Release Of Liability For Any Injury Or Death And Assumption Of Risks form.
- Double check your partner’s safety system (Knots / Harness / Carabiners / Belay Device) before every climb! Earth Treks staff reserve the right to check safety systems at any time.
- Individuals desiring to top rope belay, lead belay, or lead climb at Earth Treks must be at least 13 years of age and pass the corresponding Belay Safety Check. Those individuals who do not pass or choose to not take the Belay Safety Check may not belay or tie knots, and must wait a minimum of 24 hours before taking or re-taking the Belay Safety Check. Individuals who have passed the Lead Climb Check may borrow a lead rope at the front desk, or use a personal rope provided it’s a single UIAA approved rope at least 40 meters in length. Earth Treks staff reserve the right to revoke belay privileges at any time.
- Climbing ropes must be tied directly to the climber’s harness. Clipping the rope to the harness is prohibited.
- Weight differences between the climber and the belayer can greatly impact the safety of both individuals and all belayers must take responsibility for anchoring in from their harness to the appropriate floor anchor as needed.
- All persons using Earth Treks are expected to respect other individuals at Earth Treks and conduct themselves in good order. Persons deemed by Earth Treks staff to be behaving in an unsafe or disorderly fashion will be asked to leave the facility.
- Youth: Youth climbers under the age of 13 must be supervised by an adult (18 years or older) or by an Earth Treks staff member. Youth under the age of 14 are not permitted in fitness areas. Parents and caregivers are responsible for the supervision of their children.
The online waiver (above) will speed your check in at the gym, but if you prefer good old pen and paper, please fill out the printable version of our waiver with orientations and bring all pages with you to the gym.
Assumption of Risks and Medical Form - Carderock + Great Falls Courses
Release of Liability and Assumption of Risk and Medical Form - All Other Outdoor Course Locations
Department of Natural Resources Addendum - Rock State Park + Annapolis Rocks Courses