Tryouts for the Intermediate Climbing Team, Advanced Climbing Team and Team Earth Treks are held in August of each year prior to the start of the new competition season. Everyone must tryout in August, regardless of prior participation in a team. A second tryout may be held in February for prospective new team members, space permitting.
There is no strict performance requirement for each team; however the following guidelines can be used:
- Intermediate Team invites will be based on attitude, motivation to train and develop, and to a lesser degree, the relative technical ability of the participant for their age. Participation in competitions will be strongly encouraged, but not mandatory. Registration for this program will occur after tryout results are posted.
- Advanced Team invites will be invited based on their commitment and attitude towards training and improving their climbing, as well as their technical performance. The main focus will be on training to become a stronger, smarter, more efficient climber. Participation in competitions will be strongly encouraged, but not mandatory. Registration for this program will occur after tryout results are posted.
- Team Earth Treks participants will be invited based on their commitment and attitude towards training and improving their climbing, as well as their technical performance. Registration for this program will occur after tryout results are posted.
- All athletes are expected to treat both their peers and coaches with respect both during try outs and beyond. By joining an Earth Treks team, you’re agreeing to live up to the Team Code of Conduct. Living up to the ideals of the team is paramount and a spot on a team may be revoked if you’re unable to live up to them.
August 2014 Tryout Details
- ** Parents** Online pre-registration for August tryouts is mandatory for all participants (see below). There is no fee to register for a tryout. In an effort to ensure that tryout sessions are efficient and manageable strict limits will be maintained for all tryout sessions, and will range from 30 to 45 participants max. You can attend a tryout at any location, regardless of which climbing center you intend your child to participate at for the season.
- Tryouts are scheduled as follows:
- Columbia: Sunday, August 17th 5-7:30pm. (Max 45)
- Rockville: Wednesday, August 13th 12-2:30pm (Max 35) & Friday, August 15th 5-7:30pm. (Max 30)
- Timonium: Monday, August 11th 5-7:30pm. (Max 35)
- Alternative Tryout Date: A tryout will also be held on Sunday, June 22nd 5-7:30pm at Columbia (Max 45). This tryout is exclusively for those individuals who can’t make any of the available August tryout dates.
- Tryout results will be posted online by Monday, August 18th.
If you’re invited to a team, you’ll need to complete the Online Team Registration and Billing Agreement prior to the first week of practices. The Parent Handbook and Team Code of Conduct (Fall 2013/ Spring 2014) (to be updated before Fall 2014 season) contains information about registration as well important program details.
Please contact us online if you have any questions.